Monday, January 19, 2015

Words, wise and clear


Extraordinary pen & oil pastel by Lori Landau Art.
click HERE to visit her site.


"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word."


- Martin Luther King, Jr.





I had, and still have, many flaws as a parent. 

One of the best things I think I did right as a parent -- which I got from my mom who did the same -- was to pay attention to Martin Luther King day and all it stands for with my boys. 

When they were really little, I would sit them in my lap and we'd listen to his speech on the computer -- or at least parts of it -- and talk about him and what it means to be tolerant and what it means to stand up for one another. 

Now they are bigger, but I still email them a link to the speech every year and remind them why we are home and not at school or work on this day. I'm proud that they fondly remember the year we got a washable paint roller and wrote some of the words to MLK's speech on our front window at home. . . as many as we could fit. . . then watched as people stopped to read them and take them in. 

There is a reason many of us are home today. Make sure your kids know why. 

And, too, that they know how much work there is still left to do.



To listen to his speech, click on the link above or go here: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

gae heart emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment