Friday, September 23, 2011

Things in Motion


Newton said, ". . . .an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted on by an unbalanced force." I don't really know what this has to do with anything, (and I hope my kids don't count as unbalanced forces) but it makes me seem smartish to start with it and gives me a good excuse to post this swinging video, which I love.

But, seriously, it's already late September, and I've been keeping in a whole lot of motion.

September, of course, means the start of a new school year, meeting the teachers, getting the kids clothing and supplies, and helping them to get in the general rhythm of things (a/k/a screaming at them to go to bed at a reasonable time and get their homework done).

Holden, being totally awesome
Fall travel baseball has started for my younger son (yesterday I sat in two hours of traffic to get him to an hour and a half practice -- YES, I am bitter) and travel basketball chimes in next week. It's PSAT courses, an optional weekend math course at NYU, and Jujitsu, for my older son, but at least those don't require too much driving. Speaking of which, my older son is about to start driving.
Sam, loading the kayak early this summer


My "paid" work -- my mediation practice -- has been slow in the actual money-making office visits, though not slow in clients wanting my endless and constant attention by phone, which I rarely ever charge for.

At any rate, I'm not complaining. I like to be in motion. I'm way more productive when I am.

Which leads me to my book(s) and my writing.

I've got a slew of fun book events coming up or in the works for THE PULL OF GRAVITY (school visits, Skype visits, author panels, etc.) most of which I am doing the orchestration for. It's a full time job, I tell ya, this marketing of a contemporary YA novel.
At Bluestockings, NYC, this week with (L-R): Matt Blackstone,
me, Arlaina Tibensky, Christopher Grant and Sarah Darer Littman.
Plus, I'm still finalizing revisions on FRANKIE SKY, but I met with my new shiny agent in person the other day, and he has TONS of confidence in the manuscript so I'm (trying not to get too) excited. ;)

Plus, he's read the first 50 pages of IN SIGHT OF STARS, and he seems to be digging that too.

So, alas, after a bunch of bumps and false starts, hope and adventure are on the horizon! ;)


And, of course, in the midst of it all, I'm still open water swimming, Despite cooler than normal (? I'm not a meteorologist, people!) air temps in NY, the water has cooperated and remained a very tolerable 68 - 70 degrees (at least as of last Saturday), which is pretty much the temp of my pool.
That's me in my spiffy swim cap, last week,
getting in. My friend and constant "BETA reader" Annmarie is with me. She's a gem.
I'm gonna eke every last second out of the open water season and my backyard pool, as the thought of laps in the chlorinated, indoor pool, just isn't quite as appealing.

So fall is here, and I'm in motion. I hope you are all too.

- gae

1 comment:

  1. Finding that rhythm again in the fall can be a challenge, can't it? Sounds like you're well on the way!

    ReplyDelete