Friday, July 19, 2019

Friday Feedback With Lori Landau: Play With Your Art and Other Downward Dog Epiphanies




"How do flowers experience life? 

What do humans have in common with birds, or water or grass? 

How does the body carry and interpret 
consciousness?"

These questions opened the draft blog post of my guest host, my amazing friend Lori Landau.  The rest of the post is coming to you, soon, below.


But first a bit about Lori. 

Her poetry, essays and articles have been published in books, magazines, and online, and she has shown her art in a variety of venues in the tri-state area. 
My full of love and light friend. . . 

In addition, she's a certified yoga and meditation teacher, and offers experiential writing workshops that are deeply inspired 
by her connection to poetry, spirit, and elemental materials like water, earth, branch and stone. 

She's also currently an MFA candidate in Interdisciplinary Arts, and is working on a book about contemplative creativity.

Whew!!!

I have known Lori since we were young (young) adults, have always admired her art and poetry, and have even featured her at least a few times, like here, on my blog

But with all that said, she's never hosted Friday Feedback before. 

Then, a few weeks ago, we were out to dinner with my family. My husband, who is a beautiful singer, was lamenting how he doesn't really sing very much any more. He gave her a bunch of lame reasons that made me sad. I backed away from the conversation, it being one he and I have had before. 

Then Lori asked him, "When was the last time you just enjoyed it all? Played with your music? Had fun with your craft?"

The question was so pure and simple and perfect (and different than anything I would have come up with to say to him), it got me thinking how wonderful it might be if she pursued the thought a little bit more here. With me, her and YOU.

So without further ado, and springing off from her above three questions that opened this post, here she is. Lori Landau:

Daily Drawing Practice
Rilke advised the young poet to “live the questions.” I read that line when I was seventeen, the same year that I had my first poem published (in Seventeen magazine). From an early age I experienced life as a series of mysteries and the questions themselves have become a part of my cellular being, and my creative practice which is writing and making art. 

I have written poems, essays and made art since I was a teen. (Including trading poems with Gae, who wrote gloriously even before she graduated high school). In my attempt to be the best I can be, I have studied art, writing, yoga, meditation, Buddhism, and countless other things all in an attempt to learn as much as I could about myself and my crafts, and still I struggled. 

I was the quintessential, perfectionist procrastinator, better at distracting myself or making myself wrong than actually sitting down to do what I loved.

I was the quintessential, perfectionist procrastinator, better at distracting myself or making myself wrong than actually sitting down to do what I loved.
That is, until I realized that in trying to be perfect, I was going about it all wrong. I was losing out on what I loved best about making art and writing: the process of discovery.  
Daily Drawing Practice

That’s when I began to apply all of those meditation lessons and downward dog epiphanies to my writing. I realized, if I want to write and make art without all the pressure I was putting on myself, I would have to make it fun. 

Remember fun? 

It’s hard to allow ourselves to cultivate a sense of play in our culture which puts a high value on productivity.

My tutelary spirits. . . have all given me ideas for how to put the emphasis on process rather than product. 

But my best work happens when I can get out of my own way and just do what I love. Making my art and writing fun means getting curious about myself, and about the craft of writing and art. I study how other writers and artists create, by regularly reading the work of my tutelary spirits. John Cage, Jenny Saville, William Kentridge, Lao Tze, Ryokan, David Hume, Martin Heidegger, Anselm Keifer, Bell Hooks, Yoko Ono, John Berger, Twyla Tharp, Mary Oliver, Walt Whitman, have all given me ideas for how to put the emphasis on process rather than product. 

Now, I bring a sense of exploration to my own practices. I am deeply fascinated with how elements like chance and intuition affect the creative process. Focusing on that fascination means allowing myself to try things without an expectation for a fantastic outcome. 

I have found that allowing myself to just enjoy what I am doing yields much better results than over-efforting.


For instance, if I want to draw a portrait and don’t like the way it is coming out, I try drawing it with my left hand (I’m a righty) in order to unleash the intuitive mind. If I can’t come up with a brilliant poem or paragraph, (yes, I do still struggle with perfectionism sometimes), I set a timer and “free write” for 15 minutes. I have found that allowing myself to just enjoy what I am doing yields much better results than over-efforting.

One practice that really works for me is to make a drawing or write a poem as soon as I wake up. I make it a daily ritual to “gift” myself 20 minutes to draw or write while drinking my first cup of coffee. Admittedly that was harder when my kids were little, so eventually I figured out how to find little pockets of time to draw, such as when I sat in the car on the pick-up line at school. 

A large part of my practice is wandering, literally and figuratively. I let myself daydream, I carry a journal everywhere I go and write ideas down when I have them, and I get myself outside as much as I can. I believe we mirror nature, so I find it helpful to get as close to the trees and water as possible. The more I see myself through the lens of a larger world, the more connected I feel to myself and that world, and the easier it is to create. 

For me, finding a sense of fun also requires slowing down. My practices allow me to question myself. I regularly tune in to figure out what my subtle body is asking for. Sometimes all I need is a deep, full breath to get going. Other times I have to discipline myself to stick to my intention and creative routine before I get to the fun part. Finding the fun in any kind of creative practice is itself a practice that like anything else, gets easier over time. 

Can you remember when you just purely 
loved writing? 
How can you change the way you think about writing so you can bring a sense of wonder and enjoyment to what you do?

Daily Drawing Practice
Can you remember when you just purely loved writing? How can you change the way you think about writing so you can bring a sense of wonder and enjoyment to what you do? Today I’d be so curious to read a passage that was fun for you to write. Maybe you can try something new. If you usually write fiction, try your hand at a poem or a free write about something you love. No matter what you choose to share (or not), bringing a sense of play to your writing will free up your imagination. You might even surprise yourself.

The passage I’d like to share with you here is a living example of a piece of work that was really hard for me, until I allowed myself to just have fun with what I was writing. It’s an excerpt from a book that I am working on about consciousness and creativity. It is a book of poems, artwork and critical writing.  
I’ll be checking in all day to read your excerpts and comment. I always find it an inspiration to see what others are working on.

 And, remember, if you're not familiar with the RULES please read them there first!

---- 

“The unpredictable arithmetic of being human means that at any moment something can be added, subtracted, multiplied or divided from us. That’s why the great sages teach us to cultivate practices that help us let go of our attachments and find the middle way. The middle way allows us some flexibility, and the ability to be intimately “present.”

In viewing our endless balancing act as opportunity, we can step out of our conditioned perspective that tension in relationship is a problem. In doing so, we create a small space between emotion and reaction, and in that space we can empower ourselves to make choices that serve both ourselves and the other. 

Being willing to co-exist in the moment-to-moment fluctuations of relationship creates openings through which we can more deeply experience how intricately we are tied to everything and everyone else. All of the things that exist as form, the body, with its blood, bone, veins, the natural world consisting of trees, grasses, clouds, water, soil, stone shapes us. Form is what makes essence visible. 

----- 
           

To connect further with Lori, you can follow her at @LoriElleLandau on Instagram, where she often posts her drawings, or a small slice of life. You may also email her at Jesart@aol.com

13 comments:

  1. Dear Lori, thank you so much for sharing. What a wonderful reminder that it’s easy too forget the love of what we’re doing. I needed this reminder. As a querying author, it’s easy to get lost in the process of writing as a business and just the love of it. Thanks for encouragement. For the piece of writing that you did, I love the arithmetic analogy. So true. Thank you for sharing. My piece of writing is from a YA fantasy novel on a fairy tale. This is a scene between the fairy tale lawyer and my MC. “So what did the Big Bad do?”
    “He prefers Wolf and he’s accused of destroying the little pig’s house. Complete devastation.” “Pig still building his house out of straw?”
    “What else is there?”
    “Concrete.Steel. Glass.”
    “Our glass company only makes shoes. Lots of orders since Cinderella got her prince. Anyway, it wasn’t number one pig’s house, it was the third.”
    “Blowing down bricks now? Did Wolf get himself a personal trainer?” I fake a sneeze to cover my giggle.
    Arlow shoots me a dirty look. “He didn’t do it. Despite the threats and wolf fur they found at the scene, He is innocent.”
    I raise an eyebrow. “And I’m Snow White.”

    Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for my mistakes, trying to type this on my phone in the car while my brother is driving. But I didn’t want to miss Friday Feedback. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the fun and sense of playfulness in this piece, Martha! I'm super curious to find out who did the crime!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Martha, Lori emailed me that she's been trying to post a response but so far is unable... Not sure what's going on.

    I sure feel your sense of playfulness and joy here. I especially love this line,

    Despite the threats and wolf fur they found at the scene, He is innocent.”
    I raise an eyebrow. “And I’m Snow White.”

    Such fun stuff! And a clever idea. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for conveying my difficulty here Gae. Clearly Mercury is indeed in retrograde.

      Delete
  3. Martha-hi! I am hoping that the fifth time trying this is a charm. Speaking of charms, I love the way you are bringing a modern voice to the old time charm of fairytales. I particularly love the way you play with dialogue and humor. I'm curious-and see potential-in the possibility of using the symbolism of the characters to represent character traits-for instance, the lawyer could symbolize morality-such a great way to reach teens with a message. I think our culture could use some myths to guide us. Like Gae I also appreciated your line I raise an eyebrow. "And I'm Snow White."Keep that wry sense of humor! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Martha-I hope it's clear that the above reply was not so charmingly labeled as to who it was from. It is me-Lori Landau. Gae you too. Where's Glenda the good witch when you need her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, indeed. Sorry for your troubles commenting, Lori. Where are my campers for that matter. Been very quiet on FF this summer. Thank you for this beautiful post. Hopefully even if people aren't sharing they are absorbing. <3

      Delete
  5. I'm here! Literally did not know it was Friday. Summer is fine! I love the arithmetic language.that is the best part of writing and reading for me, turning words, rules, definitions on their heads. Your post really made me pause. I needed this. I have time suddenly to write but find I get in my own way. So on this Saturday I was sure was Friday I wrote this. Hope you see it

    Senioritis
    2 seniors. Two!
    Joys of boys has morphed to mothering men. But how and when? I am also an angsty teeb, dreamer of what I will be.They. They are toddlers so much to me.With their soft r and hard vees, hug me brudder, squeals and teases.Their misunderstandings, mispronunciations and mismatching shoes; blankies and tissues and easily hugged out boo boos. Then. They.Speak, a deep gutteral Ma! And seniors alas they are. 17 and 21 seemed so much, so far but nope we are here and I am in awe at the men towering above me, same dimples and hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-I just happened to be escaping the heat and checked in just in case. So I'm here. I really appreciated your staccato-like, fragmented sentences and alliteration. Also, the way you write out their mispronunciations. It seems you are not afraid to be you. Lots of potential for poignant heart-yanking stuff here as you compare your men to their toddlerhood days. Keep going!

      Delete
  6. and again-I'm not the "unknown" it appears I am above the comment-which was made by me-Lori Landau ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made me grateful for the heat. Thank you. So. Much.

      Delete

  7. Real Spell Caster Reviews To Save Your Marriage and Get Your Ex lover Back! I want to offer a bit of advice to anyone looking to find help on saving their marriage/relationship.
    My husband left me for another woman 3 months ago and ever since then my life have been filled with pains sorrow and heart break because he was my first love whom i have spent my entire life with. A friend of mine told me he saw some testimonies of a spell caster called dr.unity that he can bring back lover within some few hours, i laugh it out and said i am not interested but because of the love my friend had for me, she consulted the great priest on my behalf and to my greatest surprise after 11hours later my husband called me for the very first time after three months that he is missing me and that he is so sorry for every thing he made me went through.He came back to me and now we are happy together. I still can’t believe it, because it highly unbelievable. Thank you dr.unity for bringing back my lover and also to my lovely friend who interceded on my behalf, I do really highly recommend dr.unity for anyone who is having troubles right now. ,Here’s his contact,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp him +2348055361568 , website:https://unityspelltemples.blogspot.com,Good luck anyway to you all smile emoticon

    ReplyDelete
  8. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete