Sunday, November 27, 2011

Swimming Thru Angstarctica

I love my Psycho gloves so much that, yes, I want to marry them.
I've been saying for a long time -- before I'd even discovered the bliss and exhilaration of the open water -- that I was hoping one day my wetsuit would turn me into a super hero.

Today, I got one step closer.

Thanks to my dear friend (and lovely, adorable, fellow-lunatic), Annmarie, who delivered an early Christmas present, I am now the proud owner of new, improved swim booties, and, more importantly, a pair of 5mm Psycho gloves.

The name says it all. They're the ones in the photo that look like they belong to Iron Man. And they are the Swim God's gift to womankind.

Despite 47- 49 degree temps in the Sound today, we swam 40+ minutes and, even then, I wasn't ready to get out.

It was crazy!

It was delirium!

It was likely this winter's salvation.

Because December is here. The crush of the holidays (I'm a Jew, you know, we just don't get all that excited). The cold, dark days. The oppressive weight of Seasonal Affective Disorder.

For the past few winters, I've barely made it through.

But, now I've got a plan. And my plan now seems attainable. Thanks to an early Christmas present, from a dear friend who seems to need the bliss of the open water just as badly as I do.

Thanksgiving Day. That's me in the center. Losing my religion. (Annmarie, photo left).

Together, with Psycho gloves, we're gonna swim right on through it. We're swimming through Angstarctica. We're swimming till we meet the shores of spring.

So, don't worry about me. Because the water will buoy me, and my fingers won't feel a thing. <3

- gae

p.s. This just in:
Me, with my PSYCHO GLOVES today!

4 comments:

  1. how is it that you don't (literally) freeze your FACE off? I envy you the rest, but I'm keeping my face above-water.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Gae Polisner: 1. Winter Blahs: 0. How long do you think you'll be able to keep swimming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, so much of my face is covered. It's really only my cheeks and chin that are exposed, and basically, they go numb. But it feels good, like a spa facial ;) My eyes and forehead -- the parts that would hurt -- are covered by goggles and swim cap.

    Chris, I'm hoping another weekend at least...

    ReplyDelete
  4. (just checking if blogger is working)

    ReplyDelete