Friday, July 22, 2011

Open Water (Birthday) Blues

It's my birthday. *stares at it*

At this age, I'm not sure what to do with birthdays anymore. I want to believe they're just an artificial marker and that I'm no older today than I was yesterday.

Then my hip or knee or back (or dear friends ;)) will remind me that I am. Older than I was before.

Age is such a weird thing. I often feel old, sometimes I feel so young, and sometimes I feel totally ageless. In the water, I always feel ageless.

What I do know is time passes too fast. . .

Way, way, way too fast.

At any rate, it's my birthday. Like it or not. So, I'm trying to give it the respect it deserves. So far, I took my kids to a midnight show of Captain America. We ate
Holden and me in 3D :)
candy and donned 3D glasses. It ended at 2:20 am. I was exhausted. But, we were a family doing a family thing which is really as good as it gets.    

In a few hours, I have a mediation (my "paid" work) then after that, I'm meeting up with some friends from my "Pod" and going for an open water swim. Those of you who know me, know how I feel about this: my family, the love of my friends, and the open water are all I need. They save me on a daily basis. And, the blue water, for me, is nothing short of bliss.

At any rate, if you want to give me a birthday present, I'd really love and appreciate it if you'd order a copy of my book, The Pull of Gravity, or take it out from your local library, or recommend it to a friend. If you've read it and liked it, please post a review on Amazon because it actually boosts sales and, in this book economy, we could all use a bit of that.

It's been a crazy year with many ups and a few downs, but all in all, 46 has been good to me. And, it wouldn't be the same without you.
xo,

Gae

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Gae! Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Gae! In a happy accident, I just posted a review of The Pull of Gravity on LiveJournal and at Amazon. Next up, Barnes & Noble.

    Hope you have a great swim. Love the picture of you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not getting old, Gae. You're just hitting your prime! You should celebrate each birthday as marking another year of experience that has made you a stronger, more confident, and more beautiful woman. You just keep getting better ;-)

    xoxox

    max

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Gae! I got the other librarian at my school to read TPOG and she loved it of course! Can't wait to get kids reading it in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments and wishes. And, Sarah, that's awesome. keep me posted if there's anything you want me to do, e.g. come in via Skype at some point. Otherwise, thanks for spreading the word. :)

    ReplyDelete